The holiday season is here! Time to sweeten our mouths with some delicious desserts. Starting with a wonderful Kerala dessert, chena payasam, a.k.a yam payasam. Enjoy the lovely flavor of yam, jaggery, and coconut milk in this exquisite payasam. It’s hard to stop with one bowl 🙂
- Prep time – 30 minutes
- Cook time – 15 minutes
- Chena (Yam) – 250 g
- Jaggery (Add more if you want it sweeter) – 350 g
- Raisin – 25 g
- Cashew Nut – 25 g
- Thick Coconut Milk – 1 cup
- Thin Coconut Milk – 2 cups
- Ghee – 2 to 3 tbsp
- Cardamom (Crushed and skin removed) – 5
- Dry Ginger Powder – a pinch (OPTIONAL)
- Coconut Slices (Thinly Sliced) – 1 tbsp (OPTIONAL)
- Remove skin of chena (yam) and cut in cubes. Boil or pressure cook till soft.
- Drain and set aside till cool. Then blend till it is a smooth paste.
- Dissolve jaggery in a little water and heat until it melts, strain this mixture to get rid of any sediments.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed pot, and add the jaggery mixture. When it boils, add the chena (yam) and keep mixing till it becomes thick. Add a little ghee (1 to 2 tbsp) to the mixture and mix.
- Add the thin coconut milk and keep stirring till it becomes thick.
- Add the thick coconut milk and mix well.
- Add the cardamom and ginger powder at this stage. Mix well and turn off the stove.
- Prepare the garnish by frying the cashew nuts, raisins, coconut slices, in remaining ghee. Add this to the cooked payasam and mix well.
- Serve warm 🙂