Idly is a favorite breakfast dish for many South Indians. It is one of the healthiest dishes in the world and can be eaten with delicious chutneys and gravies. This recipe shows you how to make light, fluffy idli’s to give you a heartening meal. Hope you enjoy it 🙂
- Soaking time – 5 to 6 hours OR overnight
- Fermenting time – 10 to 12 hours
- Cook time – 10 minutes
Ingredients for the Idli:
- Idli Rice – 2 cups
- Urad Dal – 1/2 cup
- Cooked Rice – 1/2 cup
- Fenugreek Seeds – 1 tbsp
- Salt – 1.5 tsp OR as per taste
- Combine the idli rice, fenugreek seeds, and soak in enough water for 5 to 6 hours
- Wash and soak the urad dal in enough water for 5 to 6 hours
- Wash and drain the idli rice and fenugreek mixture. Then grind in a blender along with the cooked rice and 1.5 cups water. The rice batter should not be too smooth nor very coarse.
- Wash and drain the urad dal. Then grind in a blender with 1 cup of water till you get a very smooth and fluffy mixture.
- Mix the ground urad dal into the rice batter. Add salt and mix again.
- Cover the batter and let it ferment for 10 to 12 hours. Keep the batter in a warm place.
- Once fermented you will notice that the batter has risen. Mix it well and it’s ready for use
- To prepare the Idli:
- Take an idli steamer and add some water. Then place this on the stove over medium heat
- Take the idli mould and rub little oil on it
- Fill the moulds with the batter
- Place the prepared mould in the idli steamer and cover
- Let it steam for 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes, take them out of the steamer and let it rest for 5 minutes before you take it out of the mould with a spoon
- Set aside
- Enjoy with sambar or chutneys or both 😉