There’s nothing like a fresh-out-of-the-oven pizza. Once you try this recipe, you’ll never want to order in again because it’s that easy! I kept things simple here in terms of toppings because the pizza sauce is SO flavorful. Feel free to switch up the toppings and add your favorites in.
This recipe makes two medium-sized pizzas.
- Prep Time – 40 minutes (includes making the sauce from scratch)
- Cook Time – 30 minutes
Ingredients for the Pizza Sauce:
- Olive Oil – 3 tsp
- Unsalted Butter – 3 tbsp
- Green Bell Pepper – 1 (finely chopped)
- Garlic – 3 cloves (finely chopped)
- Fire Roasted Canned Tomato Puree – 1 can (16 oz)
- You can use any tomato puree of your choice, so feel free to experiment
- Tomatoes – 2 (chopped – after peeling the skin)
- Crushed Pepper – 1/4 tsp
- Oregano – 1 tsp
- Sugar – a pinch
- Basil leaves – a small handful
- Salt to taste
- Shredded Cheese – 2 handfuls
- Pizza Dough – 1
- I use the brand Terranova from Whole Foods
- To make the pizza sauce:
- Saute the garlic in olive oil
- Add the bell pepper and saute till soft
- Add the tomato (make sure you have taken off the skin), and saute for 5 minutes
- Add the tomato puree and mix well
- Add pepper, oregano, salt, and sugar. Mix till the mixture reduces to a pizza sauce consistency.
- Once complete, let the sauce cool down
- To make the pizza:
- Heat oven to 405 F.
- On a clean work surface, gently flatten one ball of dough and roll with a rolling pin (or stretch with your hands) until you get the desired size and thickness of the dough.
- Carefully transfer to a pizza tray.
- Add your pizza sauce and spread leaving about 1” for the crust on the edges.
- Top with shredded cheese (add a lot!). Add any other toppings of your choice (except for the basil – that goes in at the end).
- Bake for 25 minutes – this varies depending on the dough you use. So follow what works best for your dough.
- Once done, add the fresh basil leaves and enjoy!