Rather than order in to satisfy our Chinese food craving, I decided to make some homemade Sweet and Sour Chicken. 🙂 Turned out really good with a great balance of sourness from the apple cider and sweetness from the rest of the sauce. I love that it has a lot of vegetables in it too, so that makes it guilt free! Try this sometime 🙂
- Prep time – 20 minutes
- Cook time – 20 minutes
Ingredients for the Chicken:
- Boneless Chicken Thighs (cut into small pieces) – 600 g
- Corn starch – 1/4 cup
- Red bell pepper (Cubed) – 1
- Green bell pepper (Cubed) – 1
- Small sized Yellow onion (Cubed) – 1
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp
Ingredients for Sauce:
- Brown or White sugar – 3/4 cup
- Apple cider vinegar – 1/2 cup
- Low sodium soy sauce – 2 tbsp
- Garlic (Finely Chopped) – 1 tsp
- Ketchup – 1/4 cup
- Cornstarch slurry – mix 1 tbsp cornstarch with 2 tbsp water
- In a medium sauce pan, add sauce ingredients sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, and ketchup. Mix well and bring to a boil. Then add the cornstarch slurry to the sauce and mix well. Turn off the heat.
- Now start preparing the chicken. Mix the chicken pieces and cornstarch (1/4 cup) together. Add a little water so that the cornstarch can coat the chicken well.
- In a wide, flat base pan, drizzle the olive oil. Turn the heat on medium high.
- Add the cornstarch coated chicken. Saute for 15 minutes till the chicken is cooked through and browned.
- Once the chicken is cooked, set it aside on another plate.
- Add the peppers and onions, to the flat pan. Saute for 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked chicken and saute for 2 minutes
- Add the sauce and mix well till everything is coated. Note: If the sauce is too pungent for you, reduce the amount you add.
- Enjoy! Serve with warm rice 🙂