Bottle gourd is considered one of the healthiest vegetables with multiple benefits. It is a cooling agent, helps in weight loss, reduces fatigue, prevents diabetes and other diseases. That’s a lot of benefits packed in this delicious vegetable. One of my favorite ways to prepare bottle gourd is the curry form. This recipe is something I could eat everyday cause of its homely flavor. You will love it! Try this the next time you have bottle gourd in your kitchen 🙂
- Prep time – 15 minutes
- Cook time – 45 minutes
- Medium Sized Bottle gourd (Take off skin with a potato peeler, then cut in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds, then cut into 2-inch slices) – 1
- Large Red Onion (Finely Chopped) – 1/2
- Roma Tomatoes (Chopped) – 2
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Cumin Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Ketchup – 3 tbsp
- Water – 1 cup (160 ml)
- Vegetable Oil – 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Coriander Leaves for Garnish (Chopped) – 2 tbsp
- In a pressure cooker heat the oil
- Add the ginger garlic paste and onions. Saute till the onions turn golden brown
- Add the tomatoes and mix well. Add 1/4 cup water, then cover and cook for 5 minutes on medium-low heat or until the tomatoes are soft.
- Add the masalas and saute for 2 minutes. Then add 1/4 cup water, cover and cook for 5 more minutes on medium-low heat
- Add the sliced bottle gourd, 1/2 cup water, and salt to taste. Mix it well for a minute.
- Pressure cook for 25 minutes or until the gourd is cooked through. It should be transparent and soft.
- Once the bottle gourd has cooked, add the ketchup and mix everything for 2 minutes
- Garnish with coriander leaves and enjoy 🙂